SuryaNamaskar some practical guidelines
उरसा शिरसा दृष्ट्या वचसा मनसा तथा।
पदभ्यां कराभ्यांजानुभ्यां प्रमाणोऽष्टांग उच्यते।।
- The use of eight body parts is prescribed in SuryaNamaskar hence the other name of SuryaNamaskar is SaAshtangNamaskar. The eight body parts are: chest, forehead, eyes, vocal organs, mind, legs, hands, and knees.
- Daily practice in SuryaNamaskar is worshipping the Cosmic Energy/AtmaaRaam residing in our body. Hence the SuryaNamaskar Saadhana stands first in all the religious and spiritual rituals.
- The practice of SuryaNamaskar is prescribed to all the men and women of all the age groups- from the age of 08 to 108 and onwards. It is an all-round-exercise to the entire body system.
- Effective use of SuryaNamaskar is experienced on three levels – body, mind and intellect. The practice of SuryaNamaskar is a sort of training to your body mind and soul (Pradnya). It works with equal force on these three aspects. It gives us physical and mental health with sharp intellect.
- Only 35 to 40% of your muscles are used in daily activities, rest of the muscles remains inactive. SuryaNamaskar is a physical exercise where almost 95% to 97% of your muscles are switched on to active mode. They remain active, hours ahead during the day, till you recharge them the next morning.
- You are at dis-ease when there is imbalance of Waat, Kapha and Pitta in the body. Daily practice in SuryaNamaskar maintains steady state of these three, keeping the body in perfect health.
- While performing SuryaNamaskar the breathing exercise (Pranayam) gives more oxygen to your lungs. The rhythm of breathing becomes heavy with vitality. Each breath becomes deep and clear. It carries more oxygen to the parts of your body.
- The vital points (The Chakras) in the body get charged with the solar energy. The Surya-Tej in these Chakras gets enlightened with the thought and sight of the Sun God.
- While performing SuryaNamaskar think nothing, except the Sun God. Concentrate yourself on the meaning of the SuryaMantra, the steps in the SuryaNamaskar, their sequence, the proper activities of the different parts of the body, the parts of the body where you feel the press, stretch and strain etc. This will shut your mind off from thinking process. Thoughtless state of mind contains no mental stress and strain at all. It is a real rest to your mind. Freedom from mental and emotional anxiety is the sound rest to your body too.
- The word ‘Moksha’ means to be relieved from fear and tears. It is to get freedom from all types of woes and worries. This ‘released state of mind’ gives you absolute happiness. All the virtues – the divine qualities which are nothing less than the GOD HIMSELF – are the carriers that take you to the absolute happiness-the Moksha.
- The starting shloka, the Sankalpa, the prayer, Surya Mantra, the concluding shloka, the Samarpan and the shloka of dedication are important in the process of ‘know thyself’. If you can’t (or don’t want to) recite these shlokas give a thought to the meaning of each Shloka/Mantra while practicing SuryaNamaskar.
- Early morning is the best time for SuryaNamaskar. Don’t eat any thing at least for three-four hours prior to SuryaNamaskar. A visit to toilet and taking bath before SuryaNamaskar is mandatory.
- Take care of the body postures in each step very scrupulously. If it is not possible for you at the beginning you are free to make some minor changes, here and there, for the time being. But your everyday aim is to follow the prescribed process to attain the perfect position.
- All the diagrams merely indicate only outward body posture roughly. They are not the ideal state of Aasana. Your inner feel of joy only ascertains your progress in SuryaNamaskar.
- At the beginning, each movement of the Aasana should be divided into parts and performed gracefully.
- While performing the Aasanas keep your belly and hip part loose. Get the feel of the stretch and strain at the particular part of the body. The rest of the body should be free of muscle tension.
- Go slow. Slow speed is for SharirShuddhi – for cleansing the body of all sorts of toxins, fats, unwanted secretions and for restoring health. Each movement of the Asana should be graceful. Use all your mental ability to experience the stretch and strain on your body while performing the Aasana
- There are twelve steps in SuryaNamaskar. You can count five seconds for each step of the SuryaNamaskar. It means that one SuryaNamaskar goes for one minute (and a bit more). This is the normal speed to perform twelve Aasana / one SuryaNamaskar. This speed ensures SharirVruddhi – steady progress in overall health and happiness. At the beginning, of course, you have to go very slow.
- The body posture is important. If you have any problem at any step, revise all the given information, about the particular Aasana in the light of your problem, concentrate yourself on the particular Chakra and your doubt will be solved. Make use of phone / E-mail to get your doubts cleared.
- Perform SuryaNamaskar with deep understanding and dedication so that you can impart this art to all your family members – your better half, kids, parents, friends, relatives, neighbours, citizens and the world citizens at large. This “learn to teach” aspect is far more important than the information contained in all the books on SuryaNamaskar.
- You can gain perfection in the SuryaNamaskar after a long and steady practice. Don’t check your progress by the rules & regulations of SuryaNamaskar. Check it with your deep devotion and dedication to the Sun God. Be patient. Maintain slow and steady progress everyday to reach to the right posture of the Aasana. Be one with the art of SuryaNamaskar. The Sun God will lead you to the path of progress.
- It is said that twenty-four SuryaNamaskar, if done properly, are equal to five hundred sit-ups & pull-ups. It may be a statement of exaggeration. But it is worth to experience the physical fitness that you attain after you start practising SuryaNamaskar. At the beginning of the practice, one SuryaNamaskar consumes 2.3 kcal. This exercise burns out a lot of calories and reduces body mass and body weight.
- The physical power depends on the capacity of muscles to sustain, physical and mental, stretch & press. The size, shape and weight fail to determine the quality of muscles.
- If your physical capacity is to perform twelve SuryaNamaskar at a time, perform only five. Give importance to use all the physical and mental abilities to perform each and every Asana of SuryaNamaskar.
- The seven Chakra (the vital points), in your boy govern every of your activity. They motivate you to act, give ability to perform the act and get the action done. Doctors also give prime importance, directly or indirectly, to these vital points while treating a patient. Overall heath and strength is restored through SuryaNamaskar.
- Persons suffering from slip-disk, arthritis, heart attack, BP, TB / spinal problem / eye sight / eye problem /sinus / thyroid / piles etc including pregnant women and ladies with irregular menstruation are advised to take medical opinion before they start the practice of SuryaNamaskar.
- It is mandatory for ladies NOT to perform SuryaNamaskar during the period of menstruation.
- Daily Practice of SuryaNamaskar is a self proved, 100% successful Sadhana to prevent all types of physical and mental diseases. If any minor physical ailment disturbs your health SuryaNamaskar wards off its progress and awards you fast recovery with total relief. It is because the inbuilt mechanism to restore health in your body is now powerfully active round the clock.
- Don’t treat your disease with SuryaNamaskar. Get the proper medical treatment to cure it. But if during the illness you have physical ability to perform SuryaNamaskar continue your daily practice. If you are bedridden you can practice Silent SuryaNamaskar. Concentrate yourself on the breathing pattern of SuryaNamaskar and perform every Aasana mentally. It will enhance the effect of medicine and ensure fast recovery.
- If your breathing goes fast while prastising SuryaNamaskar, either take some rest or stop performing more SuryaNamaskar for the day.
- The daily practice of SuryaNamaskar grants you all the benefits of Acupressure and Pranayam. Hence the special practice of these two helps you catch hold of steady progress in this Sadhana.
- Some of the most useful and correlated Pranayam to SuryaNamaskar are Bhastrika Pranayam, Kapaal Bhaati Pranayam and Bhaaya Pranayam. The practice in Pranayam should be undertaken under the guidance of experienced person.
- After the practice of SuryaNamaskar is over, don’t eat or drink for SOME TIME. Let the muscle tissues settle down first. It is you only to feel the vibration of the muscle tissues in your body. The muscles may require more time to calm down if they are very powerfully activated. You can easily judge the calm down, peaceful state of muscle tissues and define this SOME TIME yourself. If you are in a hurry to eat/drink and get ready for the day, take to Shawasan / YogaNidra for some time. It may cut short this TIME by 50% or so.
Bibliography Publications of the Institute Brochure of the English Text Book My Quotes SuryaNamaskar for Saadhak SuryaNamaskar in Stages The Bija-Akshara A Step Ahead to Excellence Some Practical Guidelines First Set of Instructions Types of Workshop Invitation to Participate Surya Darshan, Food habits, Daily planning Self Check Your Excellence Appeal to All List of Participant Institutes Prashikshan Text Book in Marathi Future Publications 2016-17